Wednesday 3 August 2011

Wyn Evans' light signals

Just got back to Toronto yesterday, feeling kinda surreal - entering the plane in London, coming out on the other side of the Atlantic.  I've never found enough time to see all things I've wanted to during my art trips.  So I will definitely go back to Europe again.  There will be dOCUMENTA (13) in Kassel Germany next summer - another reason to go.  I have seen much more than I have written here in the past month.  I'll revisit all the other sights and sounds I have experienced in my future posts.

I saw Cerith Wyn Evans' installation 'Astrophotography...The Traditional Measure of Photographic Speed in Astronomy...' by Siegfried Marx (1987) when I visited Tate Britain in March and again two days ago.  Using a chandelier, Wyn Evans translated selected texts into the flashing light signals of Morse code.